Wednesday, September 21, 2011

"Most of Us" Recognize Divisive Rhetoric When We See It



Elizabeth Warren, Candidate for Senate, Massachusetts 2012
"I hear all this, you know, 'Well, this is class warfare, this is whatever.' No. There is nobody in this country who got rich on his own -- nobody.
"You built a factory out there? Good for you. But I want to be clear. You moved your goods to market on the roads the rest of us paid for. You hired workers the rest of us paid to educate. You were safe in your factory because of police-forces and fire-forces that the rest of us paid for. You didn't have to worry that marauding bands would come and seize everything at your factory -- and hire someone to protect against this -- because of the work the rest of us did.
"Now look, you built a factory and it turned into something terrific, or a great idea. God bless--keep a big hunk of it. But part of the underlying social contract is, you take a hunk of that and pay forward for the next kid who comes along."
I agree very much in principle with Elizabeth Warren's passion, but I'm sorry, Ms. Warren, your comments DO INDEED sound like "class warfare."

Who paid to build the roads?  You say, "the rest of us."  I say, "most of us, including ME!"  In fact, some of us paid MANY TIMES MORE for those very same roads than did the majority of Americans.

Who paid to educate my workers?  You say, "the rest of us."  I say, "most of us, including ME!"  In fact, some of us paid MANY TIMES MORE to educate my workers and my children than did the majority of Americans.  At my company, we provide fairly expensive training for employees after they come on board so that they can be productive, internationally competitive, that my company can be successful, and that all of us can be happy, productive taxpayers.  My employees and I volunteer at local public and private schools to enhance math, science, and technology classes.  Yet, some failed politicians vilify us for not paying or doing our "fair share" (which mysteriously has never been explicitly defined).

Who paid for police and fire protection services?  You say, "the rest of us."  I say, "most of us, including ME!"  If fact, some of us paid MANY TIMES MORE for the very same police and fire protection service than did the majority of Americans.

If you look at the FACTS--not the feel good rhetorical bullshiloney from certain Progressives--the MAJORITY of upper-income taxpayers pay their "fair share" of taxes and more.  In 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2008, federal, and state taxes were my single largest expense item--greater than my mortgage payment, insurance, food, and car payment COMBINED.

Don't take my word for it.  Check for yourself.  The data is readily available to all.  You can start your education here.


Never mind that President Obama's "Buffett Test" tax plan is a side-show and a distracts from needed, real tax reform.  Never mind that an estimated 46% of households will PAY ZERO INCOME TAX in 2011.  Never mind that taxpayers paid $4.2 BILLION in tax incentives to people who are in the United State illegally.

Every taxpayer I know would actually agree to pay more IF (and it's a very significant IF) we actually believed that giving more money and more power to the state and federal governments would actually help solve the problem. Most taxpayers are appalled at the dysfunction, corruption, and absolute lack of leadership in our state houses and in Washington, D.C.

I'm sorry, Ms. Warren, but "most of us" recognize your statement as yet more divisive rhetoric.

See also ...

No comments:

Post a Comment